The Unforgotten Haven project groups focus on specific tasks. We have a project for almost every interest and schedule. Each project has its own Facebook group. Below is a list of our current project groups. Click on the name of the project group to learn more and get the link to the Facebook Group page.
PB&J Project (Making PB&J Sandwiches for the Homeless)
If you or your group would like to like to sign-up to make 150 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for distribution via our Homeless Outreach Initiative, please click on the link under the instructions to sign-up for a specific week. Please read instructions completely before signing up.
- You may use any type of peanut butter, jelly, or bread.
- Put peanut butter on both sides of the bread so the jelly doesn’t make the bread soggy.
- Put the finished sandwiches inside a plastic sandwich bag to keep them fresh.
- If possible, include a snack, such as peanut butter crackers, breakfast bars, chips, or granola bars.
- Pack the sandwiches and snacks in brown paper bags. If possible, decorate the bags with inspirational messages. (It really brightens someones’ day!)
- If you want to add bottled water or juice boxes, feel free. However, please do not put these items in the bags as they smash the sandwiches. Provide the drinks separately.
- Please take pictures and send them to us via a message on our Facebook page so we can post them with a thank you. If children are participating, get permission for us to use their photo.
- All lunches should be made on Friday and delivered to us on Saturday at 8:00 am so we can get them out to The Homeless Outreach Initiative to be distributed.
- When completed, please put items in trash bags or reusable bags to deliver to us. Please don’t use boxes as they are hard for us to break down and it creates so much trash.
Cookies for Charity Project (Making Cookies for the Homeless)
Cookies for Charity is about baking cookies for our friends living on the street. On Sundays, we distribute the cookies during our Homeless Outreach Initiative. They can be any type of cookie and can be homemade or store-bought.
You can sign up to make cookies by clicking here. Each slot is for making 50 cookies. We ask that you place five (5) cookies in a plastic bag for easy distribution. If you plan on making more than 50 cookies, please sign up for more than one slot.
You can drop the pre-bagged cookies during off any hours we are open.
Homeless Outreach Project
The Unforgotten Haven’s Homeless Outreach Project is about getting on the streets and handing out non-perishable foods, blessing bags, clothing, and travel-size toiletries to those who are in very much need of these things. We load up the cars and we go to Camden on Sundays. We are always looking for volunteers to come out and help and to donate to the cause. Meet at the Haven by 11:15 am on Sunday.
All donations can be dropped off at The Unforgotten Haven during our open hours.
Hoagies for the Needy Project (Hoagies for the Homeless)
Send in your money via PayPal and put “Hoagie” in the notes section. The Unforgotten Haven will place an order and deliver the hoagies to the less fortunate during our outreach efforts. The cost per hoagie is $6.00
Buy Your Hoagie Now:
You can see the progress and results of this project on the Homeless Initiative Facebook Page. Thank you to Roma Pizza (840 S Route 73, West Berlin, NJ) for working with us on this project.
Empowerment Bags Project (Items for Women in Domestic Violence Shelters)
Empowerment Bags are for women staying at The Domestic Violence Safe House. When a woman and her children arrive at The Safe House, they usually come with nothing but the clothing on their backs. These bags will give them some hope that someone cares. Each Bag does not have to be the same. However, here are some ideas of what should be in each bag:
- Toilet paper
- Make-Up (Brand New Only)
- Full Size Shampoo and Conditioner
- Body Wash
- Journal and Pen
- Toothbrushes (Several) and Toothpaste
- New Wash Cloths
- Feminine Products
- Bag of Candy
- Small Fleece Blanket
- Card with an Empowering Message
New Life Baskets (Helping Domestic Violence Victims)
Purchase a laundry basket and then fill it with the following items:
- Paper Towels
- Laundry Detergent
- Dryer Sheets
- Disinfecting Wipes
- Cleaning Supplies (e.g., Windex, Pledge, Mr. Clean).
Sacks of Love Project (Supplies for Nursing Home Patients)
Sacks of Love are standard pillowcases with The Unforgotten Haven logo on them that are filled with things that would make a hospital patient or nursing home resident feel loved and appreciated. These bags will be tied with a pink or blue ribbon (men or women) and distributed to local hospitals and nursing homes. Once the pillowcase has been emptied, it can be used on the bed so the recipients remember that people care about them. We are collecting the following items:
- socks (non skid preferred)
- hard candy
- crossword puzzle and word find books (large print)
- hand lotion
- lip balm
- hand wipes
- shower gel
- hand sanitizer
- playing cards
- small throw blanket
- pocket size flashlights.
We would also like to have handmade, encouraging cards to put in each pillow case.
Book Bagg'n It Project (School Supplies for Students in Need - Seasonal)
The Book Bagg’n It Project collects backpacks and school supplies to provide children with a book bag full of essential school items to start the school year off right. All children deserve to begin class with confidence and preparation in September! Let’s give these things to those who are without.
This project group is most active in late July/early August preparing for the return to school. Check out our main Facebook page during that time for details.
Items needed for school include:
- Composition Books
- Glue Sticks
- Colored Pencils
- Pencils Cases and Pencil Boxes
No Belly Left Behind Project (Food for Needy School-Aged Children)
We all know that students learn better when their bellies aren’t growling from hunger!
The Unforgotten Haven can provide school administrators, teachers, or school nurses with several bags or backpacks of non-perishable foods that can be kept on hand and sent home with any kids that might not be eating enough at home. When all bags have been distributed, The Unforgotten Haven will supply more. This is an ongoing project to make sure all kids are properly fed so they are ready to learn! (Please be sure to acquire all necessary approvals from your district before participating.)
Gear for the Greater Good Project (Sporting Goods for Needy Children)
This project focuses on collecting gently used sports gear to be donated to the less fortunate or community programs supporting the less fortunate. You can drop off these items during our open hours.
As We Grow Project (Growing Fruits & Veggies for the Needy - Seasonal)
During the spring and summer, volunteers from The Unforgotten Haven grow a garden to produce fruit and vegetables for those in need. We welcome everyone, especially kids!
Find out more — including the watering schedule and what is being grown — on our Facebook Group Page.
Snack Packs for Chemo Project (Snack Packs for Chemo Patients)
Snack Packs for Chemo are snack bags for adults going through chemo. They will be disbursed to cancer centers where chemotherapy infusion takes place. Currently, we are partnered with MD Anderson, Penn, Comprehensive Cancer Center, The Minnitti Center, and several other locations.
Please read the instructions below before making the bags. To sign-up to make Snack Packs for Chemo, click here and read instructions carefully.
Instructions for Making Snack Packs for Chemo:
We have found that when different groups make bags, they are not all the same and this can result in one patient getting a large bag and the patient next to him getting a smaller bag. Therefore we would like each Chemo Snack Bag to contain the following:
- Prepackaged peanut butter crackers
- Prepackaged pretzels
- Small box of 100% apple juice with a straw
- Hard candy, mints or lemon drops
- Cookies in sealed individual packages
- Chapstick or lip balm
- Packet of tissues
- Homemade cards or notes of encouragement are greatly appreciated and one can be placed in each bag.
Everything should be put in a clear Ziploc bag, which can be decorated with permanent markers. The Ziploc bags make transport and distribution much easier and neater.
PLEASE NOTE: No direct sales materials or solicitations. Please do not include any items other than those on the above list. These items have been selected specifically for the patients. All snacks must be prepackaged. No homemade snacks are permitted. Follow safe assembly practices: assemble on clean surfaces, wash hands, wear gloves and avoid having anyone with a cold or who is not well participate.
At this time we are accepting snack packs for Adults only. All snack packs should be delivered to The Unforgotten Haven in Blackwood during the hours posted on our main Facebook page. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and generosity. These bring smiles at a difficult time.
To get more information, visit the Facebook Group page.
Blessings Bags for the Homeless Project (Making Blessing Bags for the Homeless)
This project focuses on creating “blessing bags” by collecting items to put in bags for the homeless. You or your group can sign-up to make Blessing Bags to be distributed to the homeless during our weekly Homeless Outreach visits by clicking here.
To create a blessing bag, use one or two gallon Ziploc bag and fill it with each of the following items:
- Pair of Men’s Tube Socks
- Chap Stick
- Trial Size Toothpaste
- Trial Size Lotion
- Trial Size Shampoo and Conditioner
- Trial Size Hand Sanitizer
- Wet Wipes
- Small Pack of Tissues
- Trial Size or Full Size Deodorant
- Pre Packaged Snack (Peanut Butter Crackers, Granola Bar, Chips (etc).
- Hand Warmers (During Cold Weather)
Nico's Power Up Packs Project (Toys and Goodies for Pediatric Patients)
Nico’s Power Up Packs are bags of crafts, toys, and activities for pediatric patients. They are named for Nico Cassabria, who was diagnosed with stage IV high risk neuroblastoma (a type of childhood cancer) at the age of 3 and spent 7 years of his life in and out of the hospital. Nico passed away at the age of 10, but his kindness and compassion will live on through Nico’s Power Up Packs. The name is a nod to Nico’s love of video games and all things gaming. Our hope is that Nico’s Power Up Packs will perk up or “power up” these young warriors.
Items needed (all must be new):
- “Blind bag” type toys for boys and girls (e.g., L.O.L. Surprise dolls, Shopkins, Lego Minifigures, Minecraft, Squish-Dee-Lish, Fingerling Minis, My Little Pony, Num Noms, 5 Surprise, Imaginex, Doorables)
- Play Doh/ Model Magic
- Craft Kits
- Card Games
- Coloring books and Crayons
- iTunes/ Amazon gift cards (for teens)
- Walmart/ Target gift cards
- Pajamas for boys and girls (all sizes including adult)
- Fun socks
- Baby and toddler toys
- Handmade blankets from smoke-free homes
Here is the link for our Amazon Wish List:
Keep in mind some things can be purchased at Target or Walmart for less. If you want to ship items, visit Nico’s Power Up Packs Facebook Group Page and send a message for shipping address.
Lundy Law/CHOP Children's Book Project (Books for CHOP Patients)
We have teamed up with Lundy Law on this project, and we are so grateful to them! We have bins at The Haven for gently used, age-appropriate children’s books. When the bins are full, Lundy Law comes and picks them up and delivers the books to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). You can drop off your gently used children’s books at the Unforgotten Haven during our open hours.
Baby Blessings Project (Items for New Moms In Need)
We make “It’s A Boy!” and “It’s A Girl!” bags that are distributed to mothers in need at local maternity. We are collecting the following: “It’s a Boy” and “It’s a Girl” gift bags:
- infant size diapers
- receiving blankets,
- newborn and 3 month sized onesies and sleepers
- baby socks
- baby wash cloths
- baby hooded towels
- baby hats
- baby brush & comb
- baby shampoo
- baby wash
- baby lotion
- diaper rash cream.
All items can be dropped off at The Haven during any of our open hours. If you want to purchase items from our Amazon Wish List and deliver them to the Haven, you can find that list here.
View the Facebook Baby Blessings Page here.
Party in a Bag Project (Party Supplies for Needy Children)
This project is for a Birthday Party In a Bag for children who normally would have to do without due to financial hardship. You can make bags for boys and girls. Please use a colored bag to reflect which gender the bag is for. What goes in the bag:
- Boxed Cake Mix (be sure it is not expired)
- Cake Icing (be sure it is not expired)
- Table Cover
- Party Horns
- Cookies (be sure they are not expired)
- A Birthday Card that the parents can fill out for their child
- Anything else you would like to add (such as a gift card to purchase a gift for the child).
You can drop off the bags to The Unforgotten Haven during our open hours, and we will make sure it gets to needy families.
Aunt Flo's In Town Project (Collecting Feminine Products for Girls and Women In Need)
Aunt Flo’s in Town, and she’s on a mission to help girls and women in our community who don’t have enough feminine products to last for their entire period.
It’s hard to believe, but it’s true. This is referred to as “Period Poverty.” Many girls can get a pad or a tampon from their school nurse but report they do not have products at home due to economic reasons. Many are even embarrassed to ask their teachers or nurse. They must find materials such as socks, scarves, clothing, rags, and paper products to use as pads. Some will overuse products risking severe infections. Many women go without to be able to buy food for their families or themselves.
Aunt Flo needs your help in collecting feminine products of all types: pads of all types (light days to heavy days) and tampons. They will be bagged and made available to schools for girls and women in need in our community. No girl or woman should lose their dignity for not having these essential products. No girl or woman should miss school or work because they have their period.
Please consider picking up these items and dropping them off to us here at The Unforgotten Haven during our open hours. Just tell them Aunt Flo sent you!
Yarn for a Cause Project (Knitting or Crocheting Supplies for Those In Need)
Yarn for a Cause is The Unforgotten Haven’s very own Knitting and Crocheting Club. You can make anything to help the less fortunate—blankets, hats, head bands. We also collect yarn at The Unforgotten Haven to supply to our club members and to Cooper Hospital for the knitting lessons they have for patients who are in the hospital for long periods of time.
Fleece Navidad Project (Making No Sew Fleece Blankets for Hospitalized Children & The Homeless)
Want to make fleece blankets for children in hospitals and our Homeless Outreach initiative? It’s easy. Here is a list of what you’ll need and instructions:
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 5-1/2 yds. fleece fabric
- Scissors or rotary cutter & mat
- Tape measure
Project tip: Cut both layers of fleece at the same time.
- From each piece of fleece, cut 56” x 70” rectangle.
- Place fleece rectangles wrong sides together.
- Cut out one 7” square from each corner of both fleece pieces.
- To make the fringe, cut 7” into fleece at 1” intervals around all sides of both top and bottom.
- Knot fringed pieces together around entire blanket, using 1 strand from the front fabric layer and 1 strand from the back fabric layer.
Keep an eye out for coupons to use at craft stores. Joann’s Fabrics also had kits you can purchase.
Finished blankets can be dropped off during our open hours.
Fur Baby Project (Supplies for Pets in Shelters)
The Fur Baby Project collects anything for pets of families that have fallen on hard times, house fire victims, animal shelters, foster groups, and families caring for foster animals. All supplies can be collected and brought to our facility and we will make sure it goes to the right place to help the less fortunate animals.
Military and K9 Project (Supplies for Soldiers and Their K9 Partners)
Donations for The Unforgotten Haven – Military & K9 Project can be ordered from Amazon and they will be shipped directly to Nathan in Texas who is our enlisted contact. Here is the link to the Amazon Wish List for this group:
Donations for this group can also be dropped off at the Haven during our open hours or mailed to the address below. Any issues or questions please feel free to message us.
Package drop off during open hours only:
The Unforgotten Haven
100 South Black Horse Pike
Blackwood, NJ 08012
Packages can also be shipped to:
The Unforgotten Haven
528 Highland Ave
Westville NJ 08093
- K cups coffee and tea
- Electronic wipes
- Lens cleaning cloths
- Mini energy shots
- Snacks like sunflower seeds, nuts, trail mixes, beef jerky.
- Flavoring packets to add to water, orange, strawberry etc.
- Hot sauce/ taco sauce bbq sauce (foods are bland)
- Can goods pull off lids
- Foot powder
- Icy Hot – pain relief cream
- Vicks Vapor Rub
- Lip balm
- Body wash higher quality lasts longer
- Small bottles of glass cleaner
- Tooth brushes/ paste
Down time activities
- Playing Cards
- E-reader with books on it
- Hand held games
- Plastic model kits
- Board games
- Sport balls
- Pens, paper, envelopes, paper, stamps
- Magazines ( no nudity)
- Balls/ toys/ chews
- K-9 Cooling Mats
- K-9 Nail Clippers, Brushes or Combs
- Kongs and other heavy duty chew toys
- K-9 Cooling Vests
- Collapsible Nylon Dog Water Bowls
- Dog Shampoo
- K-9 Salves For Paws/Noses
- K-9 toothpaste and toothbrushes
- Dog treats made in the USA only